National Cat Day only comes once a year and it’s no surprise it comes just two days before Halloween, a day when thousands will dress up as catwoman (and catman?)…Here are our top five recommendations to celebrate this purrific holiday!
- Adopt a cat! Millions of cats enter shelters every year. Those cats who do enter shelters face a 41% chance of being euthanized, according to the ASPCA. If you’ve been looking for a furry companion lately, get out and adopt today. If you’re in a Barkly city, check out the Humane Rescue Alliance (formerly the Washington Humane Society & Washington Animal Rescue League) in DC, BARCS in Baltimore, the ACCT of Philly, or Social Tees Rescue in NYC.
- Visit a cat cafe! Not able to adopt a cat just yet? Lucky for you, there are a number of cat cafes where you can get your fur fix and also contribute to a good cause. Crumbs & Whiskers in DC, Le Cat Cafe in Philly, and Meow Parlour in NYC all offer options of sipping a hot beverage or enjoying a pastry while lounging with adoptable cats.
- Get your cat a Halloween costume! Cats tend to wear costumes with pride unlike their canine counterparts. Hit the costume & pet stores to find your cat the purrfect halloween outfit. Our recommendation, go with a mouse outfit. The irony just never fails to amuse.
- Dress yourself up as a cat for Halloween! The third most popular Halloween outfit for children and young adults is dressing up as an animal. Get yourself some whiskers and go feline this Halloween!
- Book a cat visit with Barkly! If you have busy weekend or Halloween plans and need someone to care for your cat, book a Barkly caretaker! Just be sure to leave the laser pointer out!
Happy National Cat Day!