Brooklyn is perhaps the most dog-friendly area in NYC, and home to many awesome dog parks that offer unique experiences and a chance to get away from the hectic city life. We will run through the best dog parks in Brooklyn, with a few pros and cons for each and name our favorite pick.
Hillside Dog Park is conveniently located east of Columbia Heights and south of Vine Street.
- Hillside is HUGE – it is the biggest dog park in Brooklyn
- Diverse group of dog breeds and owners
- Picnic tables and benches for owners to sit
- Front gate can allow smaller breeds to sneak out
- Dirt paths get very muddy when wet
This dog park stretches across several acres inside of Prospect Park and offers a great location and landscape.
- Inside of an existing park with plenty of other activities
- Connect with other dog owners through FIDO
- Off-leash hours are only from 9pm – 1am and 5am – 9am
- No distinct “dog runs” with fencing
Cobbled together over 40 years, this park offers plenty to do for both dogs and humans alike. Of all the dog parks in Brooklyn, this might offer the most diverse landscape, including a golf course.
- Scenic location
- Offers smaller, more secluded areas
- Many owners have reported a “clique-y” atmosphere that could be intimidating to newcomers of the park
- The gravel in some areas can get caught in paws or shoes
Totaling 35 acres, McCarren Park hosts a variety of activities and is located in the Greenpoint neighborhood.
- Dog run area allows off-leash play from 9am – 9pm
- Shaded area to cool off
- Separate areas for large and small dogs
- Not enough waste disposal for the space
- Because of this, can be smelly in the summer
This park was once used as a lookout point for the Continental Army in 1776, and today offers several great amenities for any dog owner.
- Calm and sectioned off from the rest of the park
- Plenty of shade and quiet compared to Prospect Park
- Not as many amenities or space as other parks
- Off -leash hours from sunrise – 9am and 9pm – 1am
Best Dog Park in Brooklyn: Hillside
Based on all of the reviews and comparing the amenities side-by-side, it’s easy to see why Hillside is so beloved. Of course, everyone has their own preference when it comes to dog parks in Brooklyn, so if you have the chance, take a peek at all five parks we reviewed today!
Looking for dog parks elsewhere in NYC. Look no further.